The Program for Sports Management Technicians was developed in the School of Culture and Sports of the ITCR, in partnership with the National Olympic Committee. It is designed to meet the need for trained specialists in this are, and the training that its graduates receive will improve their chances of employment in this field:
- Management of sports projects.
- Sports programs.
- Sporting events.
It is closely related to areas including communication, advertising, sports marketing, human talent management in sports organizations, and advisory services in legislation and sports law.
Duration of thecourses: 10 months
Campus Tecnológico Local San José
(Barrio Amón, entre calles 5 y 7 y entre avenidas 9 y 11. Sus aulas, oficinas administrativas, biblioteca y áreas recreativas se distribuyen entre edificios nuevos y casas antiguas con el valor histórico propio del barrio)
|Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.||
Training highly specialized technicians in the planning, design, execution and evaluation of innovative projects that contribute to the creation of a new sports culture.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Apply different management and organization tools for capacity development and improved structuring of sports and sporting events.
- Analyze decision making using concepts and skills related to strategic management.
- Plan personnel needs and their effective use from a strategic and operational perspective.
- Understand the basic characteristics of sustainable design in sports infrastructure.
- Evaluate management of sports services in sports organizations.
- Interpret problems that arise in different economic and financial areas of sports organization management, and become familiar with methods for their solution.
- Create economic and financial plans to support the strategic and operational plans of a sports organization.
- Assess legal challenges and weaknesses faced by sports organizations.
- Establish mechanisms for project implementation and control in sports organizations.
- Apply appropriate skills to strengthen management capacity and decision making.
- Evaluate marketing of sports organizations from a strategic perspective.
- Develop strategies in areas such as visual communication, brand protection, and event licensing.
No admission exam is required to enter the program; the only requirements are
- Completing the following form.
- A telephone interview with the applicant.
And the following documents:
- At least a ninth grade diploma issued by the Ministry of Public Education.
- Copies of both sides of the applicant’s personal identification card.
- A letter of Intent to participate in the Program.
- A passport-sized photo (5 cm x 5 cm), white background.
- Curriculum vitae
Note: This information must be sent to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost per course: ₡85,000 per course (cost per two-month period: ₡170,000). There is no enrollment fee charged in any module.
Graduation costs are as follows:
- Graduation rights: ₡30,000.
- Rights per person invited to the ceremony: ₡10,000 (with a maximum of three persons per graduate).
As of June 1, 2019, (*) 2% of VAT is added, which is equivalent to ₡3,400 (three thousand four hundred colones per block).
The program consists of six modules of six weeks each, with a seventh week off, and a duration of 48 classroom hours per module (a total of 288 hours) and six hours of extra work outside the classroom per class (a total of 72 hours), for a final total of six modules, twelve courses and 360 hours to obtain a technician’s diploma.
Management in sports organizations
|Strategic direction of sports organizations|
|II||Accounting and finance I|
|Management of sports infrastructure|
|III||Sports marketing I|
|Accounting and finance II|
|IV||Sports marketing II|
|Sports project management I|
|V||Law and sports|
|Sports project management II|
|VI||Management of sports services|
|Organization of sports events|
The program is carried out in classes directed by a specialized instructor, involving both discussion of topics and student solution of cases, projects and tasks. The courses will include highly practical content which will enable student participation in activities inside and outside the classroom, as necessary.
The following video tutorial shows the enrollment process.
Enrollment is done through the following link.
- Debit or credit card.
- FundaTEC CONECTIVIDAD
- Payments may be made in a single installment, or in two installments if a student needs to do so, with the first payment made during the first school week (for one course) and the second payment in the third week (the other class); there will be a 10% surcharge if payment is not made during the weeks indicated.
Explanatory note: it should be noted that the program is designed to be completed in ten months; this payment plan does not make it possible to take only one course in each two-month period.
Late payment surcharges:
- Free week, first and second week of lessons: 0%.
- Third week of class: 15% of the unpaid balance.
- Fourth week of class: 20% of the unpaid balance.
- Fifth week of class: 25% of the unpaid balance.
Important note: Surcharges change on Mondays of each week.
Characteristics of the Diploma Awarded
Upon the successful completion of the six modules, the TEC will award participants a Technician’s Diploma in Sports Management.
There is a graduation ceremony. You must pay graduation fees even if you cannot attend this activity.
Important: the format of the TEC diploma meets the requirements of the Civil Service; however, interested parties must carry out the paperwork necessary for its recognition.
- The Costa Rican Institute of Sports and Recreation.
- National sports federations.
- Sports and cultural associations.
- Community development associations.
- Gymnasium administration.
- Personal project managers (entrepreneur)
- Sports schools (administration)
The program is carried out in classes directed by a specialized instructor, involving both discussion of topics and the use of case studies, using a conductive pedagogical methodology.