The School of Computer Engineering has acquired solid prestige as a center of excellence in teaching and in applied research. It offers academic options at the campus in Cartago, and in the facilities of San Carlos, Alajuela, Limón and San José.
It also has the Center for Computer Research (CIC), an entity whose purpose is to help solve problems in the Central American and Caribbean region by carrying out activities aimed at the generation, adaptation, incorporation and dissemination of computer knowledge.
The Computer Engineering School also participates in the Information Technology Administration (ITA) and Computer Engineering (CE) programs.
In the postgraduate area, the School offers a Master's Degree in Computing, which is taught in different facilities, and is oriented towards students with different profiles in the area of computing and information technology.
The School of Computer Engineering will contribute to Costa Rican society by generating scientific-technological knowledge through teaching, research, outreach activities and establishing external linkages, based on principles of academic excellence, social relevance, regionalization, equity and comprehensive training.
- Excellence: A search for and commitment to quality and effectiveness in all activities.
- Transparency: Permanent action within the framework of ethical, moral and legal principles for the construction of honest and reliable environments.
- Relevance: A commitment to providing an appropriate response to the needs of society by adapting the actions of the system to meet society’s challenges and requirements.
- Humanistic training: Commitment to integral formation of the person, in all its dimensions.
- Scientific training: rigorous application of scientific knowledge in university activities.
- Equity: Creation of conditions that allow the general population to have opportunities to receive quality educational services, without any type of discrimination.
- Innovation and creativity: Search for and generation of new strategies and significant actions to solve new challenges, in a way that allows society to maximize benefits.
- Seek excellence and standardization in curriculum design.
- Strengthen educational innovation.
- Maintain the relevance of academic options in computing (technician training, undergraduate-graduate careers and continuing education).
- Research, Outreach and Social Action.
- Develop capacities for research, outreach activities and social action.
- Attraction of funds for research (public-private partnerships).
- National and international work networks.
- Regional development
- Formation of linkages with socio-productive sectors of each region.
- Strengthening internal unions, decentralized units and academic areas to enhance regional development according to the area of influence.
- Systematization of continuous improvement in the School.
- Increase participation in decision-making bodies.
- Improve processes for attracting educators.
- Improve the School’s organizational structure.
- Projection of the School’s work to the institutional community.
- Professional development of the teaching staff.
- Student life
- Improve mechanisms for presenting different academic offers to attract students.
- Attraction and successful retention of women.
- Development of a student retention strategy.
- Systematize internationalization of students in different academic activities.
- Promote support mechanisms for extracurricular activities.
The Department maintains collaborative links with other academic centers such as:
- University of Oregon.
- International Institute of Software Technology of the United Nations University.
- INRIA (France).
- Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil).
- Universidad de La Havana.
- Universidad Politécnica de El Salvador
- Universidad UNAN León de Nicaragua
- University of Kansas.
- University of Manchester.
- York University (Canada).
- Universidad de Los Andes (Colombia).
- Universidad Pontificia Católica de Chile.
- Universidad Simón Bolívar (Venezuela).
- CYTED Research Network - RITOS (Latin America).
- Universidad Alcalá de Henares.
- University of West Florida.
- University of Amsterdam.
- Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (Mexico).
- Universidade Federal de Pernambuco (Brazil).
- Universidad of Chile.
- Universidad del Valle de Guatemala
- Centro Latinoamericano de Estudios en Informática (CLEI)